Saturday, April 9, 2011

Alec Brownstein Speaks at CPS


Last night Alec Brownstein (http://www.alecbrownstein.com) , creator of the google job experiment and winner of about every award known to man came to speak at CPS. Honestly the guy is a genius. His whole speech really focuses on the fact that you really don't need much beyond a good idea and a group of friends with some know how to produce some great work. Its all about understanding the free resources around you, and more or less having the drive to just get shit done. Alec showed us a number of examples of videos and short clips of very simple and well executed ideas that have gone viral. The common message with the majority of our speakers is that you need to get off your ass and get things done, which I really couldn't agree with more. I am in a rare situation where every day I get to go to a place surrounded by student who just wanna make shit and get noticed, and who have the skills to do so.

On another note, the first week of the quarter is finished and a lot has gone down. First of all the first round of the Royal Rumble is complete. My partners and I got some decent feedback on our idea and how to push forward. We went with a concept of "Personal Comfort" and had an app, some print and bunch of social media in our campaign. The next round of judging is Thursday the 14th so we have a lot of work to do before then.

Also I have a whole new lineup of professors and to be honest they kick some serious ass. Natalie Taylor is my concepts teacher, she is a copywriter at Ogilvy and she literally just refuses to suck. Natalie addressed us at the beginning of class that her job is to make other students and teacher jealous they aren't in our class and that if our best campaign doesn't come from this class than she hasn't done her job. I have Joel Wheat tuesday nights in art direction, Joel has held about every job in the industry and what I like about his class is we are really getting to learn a lot about famous people in pop culture as well as work on producing some past work that we have done. Next wednesday I have David Sieren for typography who has picked up right were last semesters type class ended and seems to have a real passion and knowledge for design in general. Lastly Thursday nights I have Tony Marin who integrated campaigns, Tony is the first teacher I have had that actually went to CPS which is cool to see someone who is very successful and has come from the school. He has allowed us to pair up with one person for the entire semester and I wound up going with copywriter Justin Florio who I have worked with now on a couple different projects, and am definitely looking forward to working with more.

Other than that all thats new is that the One Show nominations have been pushed back to Monday the 11th so fingers are still crossed hoping Marta and I get nominated. This week we have to work on projects for Amazon Kindle, a household cleaner that is enviromentally friendly, and I am just continuing to update my website and work on my resume.. oh ya just going out and "getting shit done."

No comments: